Dr Rachael Litchfield
Supervisor, Spiritual Direction Formation Program
Rachael has been involved in cross-cultural mission work in Thailand, Cambodia and Australia for much of the last 30 years serving in physiotherapy, community health, leadership and pastoral care roles. The many complexities and stresses of this ministry led her to seek out deeper spiritual formation and sustenance through engagement in spiritual direction, contemplative practices, silent retreats, and intentional guided sabbatical. This led to Rachael completing a Graduate Diploma of Spiritual Direction at Tabor, Adelaide. She continues part time as a team supported mission worker with Interserve offering spiritual direction and retreats for the mission workers in this international organisation. Since early 2020 she has been providing online retreats for those serving in a variety of countries and co-ordinating an international network of spiritual directors within Interserve to offer spiritual accompaniment during an incredibly difficult season.
Rachael is also a supervisor in the Tabor spiritual direction program and has a private spiritual direction practice. In 2020 she completed a doctor of ministry dissertation titled “A Spirituality for Transition Grief” based on deep reflection of her own cross cultural mission journey.
She loves this work of prayerful accompaniment, presence and creative retreats believing we all need support and encouragement to slow down, listen attentively, and connect deeply to our inner selves and the Spirit of God in order to grow towards a wholistic and healthy spirituality that has restorative impact beyond ourselves.
Rachael is the current chair of the Ecumenical Spiritual Directors Association and the SA rep for the Australian Network of Spiritual Direction.
Rachael is married to Scott and has two adult sons and a daughter in law.
- Doctor of Ministry (Adelaide College of Divinity) DMin
- Graduate Diploma of Spiritual Direction (Tabor) GDSD
- Graduate Diploma of Christian Studies (Tabor)
- Master of Primary Health Care (Flinders University, School of Public Health) MPH
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Physiotherapy (Adelaide Institute of Technology) BSc Phys.
- Supervisor, Spiritual Direction Formation Program
- Adjunct Lecturer (Faculty of Ministry Practice)
- Enjoys spending quiet time in nature, drinking tea and very dark chocolate
More staff in Faculty of Ministry Practice
See all of our staff