Graduates may undertake various roles in local churches in associate leadership roles, as lay leaders, or may elect to develop their own ministries. Alternatively, graduates may use the award as a form of professional development or “broadening qualification”, possibly allowing them to move into a different, albeit related, role within their organization (a school teacher might complete the award as the basis for teaching Religious Education while a nurse may become a pastoral carer).
About This Course
With its focus on the Christian scriptures, theology and church history, the Graduate Certificate in Divinity is an excellent choice for students seeking a short and flexible study option designed to awaken and inspire a greater passion for Christian ministry and service.
Throughout the course, students have the opportunity to choose the focus of their Scripture studies, whether Old Testament, New Testament or the Bible as a whole. The course includes two core and two elective units, a mix that has proven highly appealing to students. While the core units deliver an introductory syllabus designed to broaden student understanding, the electives allow space for students to pursue their own professional and educational outcomes.
The award’s flexibility makes it ideal for people who are studying with specific vocational goals in mind (e.g., Christian teachers looking to broaden their employment opportunities) as well as those who plan to use their learning in a variety of different Christian ministry contexts.
Course Learning Outcomes
Graduates will have:
- an advanced and integrated knowledge of the underlying principles and concepts of the Christian faith and ministry, with depth in Christian studies or vocational praxis
Graduates will be able to:
- Analyse the biblical text critically and faithfully, and evaluate, consolidate and synthesise the interpretations of others
- Discern how their faith informs their vocational choices
- Exercise independent critical thinking, reflection and judgement in order to analyse and design approaches to contemporary issues
- Construct and convey biblical and theological knowledge and ideas in diverse contexts
Graduates will be able to demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills:
- With advanced biblical and theological knowledge and vocational skills in their chosen vocational context
- Engage in Christian reflective practice on their vocation
Graduates will be able to:
- Assess their own spiritual, theological and ministerial formation and integration, and identify possible vocational directions
Graduate Diploma in Divinity
The Graduate Diploma in Divinity has proven to be a worthwhile choice for those seeking a flexible and accommodating study option which awakens and inspires a greater passion for Christian ministry and service.
Graduate Diploma in Spiritual Direction
In a fast-paced and consumerist culture, people of all walks are hungering for a grounded spiritual journey. Spiritual direction is an ancient practice where through hospitable conversation, one person helps another discern and respond to God’s presence in the sacred stories of daily life. Grounded in the Christian tradition, Tabor’s Graduate Diploma in Spiritual Direction forms people for this ministry.
How long does it take?
6 months full-time or part-time equivalent.
What do I need for entry?
The entry requirement for the Graduate Certificate in Divinity is an undergraduate degree in any field or approved equivalent.
When can I start?
Semester 1 – February
Semester 2 – July