Tabor’s Graduate Diploma of Leadership is aimed at mid-level leaders in faith-based organisations and seeks to equip graduates with the knowledge and skills they need to function as successful leaders in their professional context.
The course is designed to provide a sound understanding of leadership theories, ethical responsibilities of leaders, the fundamental principles and practices of self-leadership, and key components in leading teams in innovative ways, all in conversation with the rich tradition of Christian thought. As a result, students who complete the award will have at their disposal an advanced education that enables them to lead as Christians in their context in a more effective and productive manner. Furthermore, students will also develop the ability to critically analyse leadership structures and practices in their organisations with the goal of developing and improving these organisations.
Students who graduate from this award may choose to enrol in a Master of Leadership that will further develop their leadership potential.
About This Course
Leaders at all levels of responsibility in faith-based organisations, including senior, executive, departmental, and other areas of leadership, are expected to function successfully and appropriately within their professional context. This not only requires a deep understanding of and engagement with their specific context but also the capacity to lead people well by discerning and managing responsible action in the face of complex demands. In order to succeed here, leaders need an advanced understanding of core leadership theories, underpinnings and practices, and how these principles are effectively implemented in their professional context. All of Tabor’s leadership courses involve thoughtful engagement with the richness of the Christian tradition, making them ideally suited for people with responsibility for leading faith-based organisations.
Tabor’s Graduate Diploma in Leadership is designed for people who have some leadership experience, and who are looking to be better equipped for their current role and / or to take the next step on their leadership journey. Building on the foundation laid by the Graduate Certificate in Leadership, students are introduced to the key elements of innovative and entrepreneurial thinking and change management, essential requirements and skills for leading modern organisations. Opportunities for enhanced personal reflection, awareness and formation continue to be a key element of the course, which concludes with a leadership project where students are given the opportunity to design and implement a leadership ‘intervention’ in their professional context. Graduates emerge with increased capacity to lead their teams and organisations in an informed, reflective, and innovative fashion.
i. Ethical Decision Making
ii. Leading Change and Innovation
LAPU is driven by a commitment to quality, online Christian education, and this partnership has been established to provide an international perspective for Tabor’s postgraduate leadership students.
LAPU is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), one of the premiere accrediting agencies for educational institutions in the western United States.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Graduates of a Graduate Diploma will have advanced knowledge within a systematic and coherent body of knowledge that may include the acquisition and application of knowledge and skills in a new or existing discipline or professional area
Graduates of a Graduate Diploma will have:
- cognitive skills to review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge and identify and provide solutions to complex problems
- cognitive skills to think critically and to generate and evaluate complex ideas
- specialised technical and creative skills in a field of highly skilled and/or professional practice
- communication skills to demonstrate an understanding of theoretical concepts
- communication skills to transfer complex knowledge and ideas to a variety of audiences
Application of knowledge and skills
Graduates of a Graduate Diploma will demonstrate the application of knowledge and skills:
- to make high level, independent judgements in a range of technical or management functions in varied specialised contexts
- to initiate, plan, implement and evaluate broad functions within varied specialised technical and/or creative contexts
- with responsibility and accountability for personal outputs and all aspects of the work or function of others within broad parameters
Graduates will be able to…
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of contemporary organisational leadership theory, principles, and practice, as it specifically pertains to faith-based organisations
- Review, analyse, consolidate, and synthesise knowledge and identify and provide solutions to complex problems encountered in leading faith-based organisations
- Generate, critically analyse and evaluate complex leadership ideas
- Communicate complex leadership ideas to other leaders, members of their organisation, and various stakeholders
- Make high level, independent judgements that are required when leading faith-based organisations
- Initiate, plan, implement, and evaluate effective and responsible team leadership activities, processes and initiatives in faith-based organisations
- Initiate, plan, implement, and evaluate innovation and change in faith-based organisations
- Reflect on their vocation and practice of leadership in the light of what constitutes a meaningful life.
- Explain their own strengths as a leader and identify ways in which they can develop so that they are able to lead faith-based organisations more effectively
Graduate Certificate in Leadership
Tabor’s Graduate Certificate in Leadership is particularly suited to people starting out on their professional leadership journey. It equips graduates with a deep understanding of key leadership theories and principles, and the knowledge and skills they need to make ethical decisions and lead teams, essentials task of all who are engaged in leadership roles.
Master of Leadership
Tabor’s Master of Leadership is particularly designed for senior leaders, who hold significant roles of influence within their organisation. Building on the foundations laid by the Graduate Certificate and Diploma, it deepens individual’s capacity to lead both within and outside of their organization, providing them with the knowledge and skills they need to address significant issues within their organizational context, thus providing their organization with the best opportunity to thrive and grow.
- MTL204.8 Ministry Leadership Stream Elective
- MTL205.8 Educational Leadership Stream Elective
- MTL206.8 Community Services Leadership Stream Elective
*Options vary and are subject to availability.
Where can I study?
You can study fully online.
How long does it take?
1 year full-time or part-time equivalent.
What do I need for entry?
The entry requirement for the Graduate Diploma in Leadership is an undergraduate degree in any field or approved equivalent. Students are also required to have two years relevant work experience in a professional role.
When can I start?
Semester 1 – February
Semester 2 – May
Semester 3 – July
Semester 4 – October